From the Lighthouse is now open for submissions! Send us your poetry (≤80 lines), short stories (≤5000 words), flash fiction (≤100 words), creative non-fiction (≤3000 words), essays (≤3000 words), short drama (≤45-minute production).
We are seeking work either from, about, featuring, or carrying a sentiment of, Durham and the North East. At the moment, we are a solely online publication.
We will try to respond to each submission as quickly as possible, but please be patient, as we receive many submissions and seek to give our full attention to each piece. We do not accept previously published work, but we do accept simultaneous submissions. We only ask that you notify us if your work is accepted by another publication as soon as possible.
If chosen for publication, we reserve the right to claim first printing, and we ask that you acknowledge in future publications that your work was first published by From the Lighthouse.
Unfortunately, we are currently unable to offer any payment to our writers, but we really appreciate any and all submissions. It is our aim to be able to pay writers in the near future, and we hope you will continue submitting until that day comes.
How to submit
- Email email@example.com
- The heading of the email must follow this format: [Category]/[Title]/[Word/Line Count]. For example, “Poetry/Song of the Trees/35″.
- Include in the body of the message: Your First Name, Last Name, Email address, and…
- The piece of work must be in the body of the email, and also included as an attachment in .rtf, .doc or .docx.
- The attached document must only contain your name, the title, the text, and word count.
- Each submission should be a separate email.
Please feel free to contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries.
Kenneth, Editor (President 2014-2015, DU English Society)